Thursday, May 6, 2010

What is the Charlotte Mason Method?

 "Education is an atmosphere."
         "Education is a discipline."
               "Education is a life."
                              ~Charlotte Mason

This method is all about spending time with your kids. I love that it's about spending time outdoors; taking walks and observing the world around you. I love that it uses quality books instead of a bunch of boring textbooks. I love the flexibility. I have only be using this method for a couple of weeks. I am slowly moving into each area of curriculum.
We started our first chapter book read aloud last week. I chose The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Clearly.We read one chapter a night and I was very surprised how much my son loved the chapter book. I really thought he would get restless and start interrupting. But he really loved hearing about Ralph and his motorcycle adventures. He actually retained several key points of the book as well.

Here's some great resources:
What is the Charlotte Mason Method?

 7 Characteristic of a Charlotte Mason Education

Ambleside

Charlotte Mason Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment